April 29, 2012

Something Old, Nothing New

Lately, I've been struggling with my blog a bit. I love sharing about my life and also sharing my photographs as I learn more about photography. But sometimes, I feel like it needs a little something more.


So I thought of a little blog feature I want to try out. It's called Something Old, Nothing New.


Since I started blogging, I've seen that so many of us get sucked into the idea that we need things. Maybe it's because we spend a lot of time online, so we're constantly finding cute new clothes we want, new iphone cases, new etsy items, etc. And I get it. A lot of the people I follow are handmade business owners, that I want to support, and who create beautiful things! But more often than not, I don't have a ton of money to spend each month. Yet I feel like I'm reminded almost daily of something new and cute that I "need".


Don't get me wrong, it's absolutely okay to buy things. And this is by no means a spending freeze. I just know that in the past I've gotten a little out of control with spending, when the truth is, right now, I don't really "need" anything. I have so much more than a lot of people suffering in our world. I love this quote that I found from here:



As much as we may think so, we don't need things to make us happy. If I don't get a new s wimsuit this year, I'll probably have just as much fun swimming in the pool.


So, after that insanely long rant, here is what I'd like to share on the blog in this series. Each week, I'm going to pick something in my home that I already have (nothing new) and use it and appreciate it for a week. And then I'll share my thoughts on my long, lost treasure.


For example, this week I'm going to break out my sewing machine. I was really excited when a got it several months ago, sewed a few things, and then back in the dark corner of the bedroom it went.


I've picked out 2 projects to complete, and you're going to hold me accountable! I think this will really help me appreciate what I already have, and also help me develop a new talent.



Photobucket
source


Photobucket

source



I'm going to work with some jersey knit for the first time ever! Woot woot! I'm going to attempt to make this boho maxi dress and turband headband thing. Wish me luck!


9 comments:

thedemuremuse.com said...

I couldn't have agreed more. I'll admit that after being super into reading personal style blogs, I started to feel that I "needed" more clothes, shoes, accessories, etc, to stay trendy. It's been a learning process, but I've been trying really hard to make do with what I have in my current wardrobe and not buy excessively.

I've recently been finding more bloggers who have great tips for remixing wardrobe pieces, which is super encouraging and makes me feel like I don't need to buy more than I already have. Being happy with what we have is such a good feeling... to not want more. :)

Alyx said...

This is such a fun idea.
And that boho maxi dress!! Ohmygosh, I love it! I may just have to PIN that so that when I actually get a sewing machine I can make it!

Emma Frances said...

I LOVE this idea! :] Such a good idea to focus on what we have and what we can do with what we have instead of what we don't have. I need to pick out some projects to do as well!

ginanorma said...

I think this is an absolutely amazingly beautiful idea! The world and the blog world too I've noticed is so into trends and having and finding the greatest and latest things, and it can be ugly if you ask me! It's so meaningless, I agree with everything you said and I love this idea, and look forward to it!!!

I just learned to embroider, but I really want to learn to sew next..I have a sewing machine that I don't know how to use :o

memory said...

That maxi dress is adorbs.

And what a genius idea! I'm all about being grateful for what we've been given already.

SoUtHeRnPiNkY.bLoGsPoT.cOm

Melissa W. said...

Too cute!! Love the turban!!

Melissa W. said...

Just so you know....you were not forgotten...

...your secret sister for the sendsomethinggood project just likes to make things...and she got a tad carried away. (hope that doesn't get you tooo psyched up...it's simply handmade...) After all, you look like the type of girl that likes that sort of thing.

Hopefully she'll get it out this weekend.

Heidi said...

I love the headscarves, but they never stay on my head! Hair's too slippery I guess ;)
Just found you-cute blog! :)

The Craft-Arty Kid said...

I think that's a great idea.
I often feel like i need new clothes, forgetting that i already have a lot that i don't wear that much. It's time to show them some love.